June 17, 2021
June 19th has been declared FreeBSD Day, and we hope you’ll join us in honoring the Project’s pioneering legacy and continuing impact on technology. This year, the Foundation is starting the celebration a little early.
Why June 19th
June 19, 1993 was the day the official name for FreeBSD was agreed upon. See part of the email thread here.
Help Us Celebrate
As we mentioned above, we’re kicking things off a bit early this year. If you love FreeBSD as much as we do, join us starting on Friday, July 18 to help us celebrate your favorite open source operating system by doing the following:
- Introduce someone to FreeBSD by showing them:
- FreeBSD How-To Guides – From FreeBSD on Virtual Box to setting up our own Minecraft server, there are are a number of things to learn about.
- The FreeBSD Fridays series of introductory talks and be sure to join us at 10:00am PDT/ 17:00 UTC on Friday, July 18 for How to Submit a Patch to FreeBSD.
- The FreeBSD Day Playlist of some of our favorite FreeBSD videos.
- More about the history of FreeBSD here.
- List of companies using and products based on FreeBSD.
- Send us stories of how your company uses FreeBSD to great success
- Tell us why you love FreeBSD using #FreeBSDDay on your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram posts
- Check out the FreeBSD Journal and share with your friends and colleagues.
- Consider donating to the Foundation to help us continue our support of the Project.
Find out more about FreeBSD Day and how you can help us celebrate on July 18 and 19 here.