April 21, 2023
Every year since 1970, Earth Day has focused the world’s attention on the need to act to protect our home. It’s a vital call to action for every person and organization.
The FreeBSD Foundation is committed to making FreeBSD the OS of choice for users seeking to reduce the environmental impact of computing.
We do this by:
- Continuously working to maximize hardware performance
- Making FreeBSD easy to tune for energy efficiency
- Supporting energy-efficient architectures
- AMD and the FreeBSD Foundation collaborated so FreeBSD runs on the efficient 4th generation AMD EPYC™ Processors
- FreeBSD has a long history of collaboration with ARM, and was among the first to support the efficient ARMv8 architectures. Check out the docs here for implementation details
- OEMs like Broadberry provide FreeBSD servers on a number of architectures, including the power-sipping Intel Atom
We know there is more to do, and we want to hear from you! Tell us how FreeBSD can help you be a better steward of the planet.
Let us know if you have a story about how FreeBSD has helped you be more efficient and sustainable. And if you have data on energy savings or other efficiencies, even better 🙂
We will share all the stories and ideas we receive in a follow-up blog.