Are you a versatile problem-solver with a knack for operating system development? Do you thrive working in an open source development environment with a diverse team? If so, the FreeBSD Foundation is searching for a software developer with varied interests and skills and a passion to perfect the user experience on FreeBSD.
The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and building the FreeBSD Project and community worldwide. We have been around for over 20 years, with our headquarters in Boulder, and board and staff located around the world. The Foundation focuses on filling critical needs within the Project including software development, advocacy, infrastructure support, project management and more. We partner with individual and corporate members of the FreeBSD community, to ensure the continuing growth and stability of one of the oldest, largest, and most successful open source operating systems.
Your responsibilities will be diverse and may include:
- Participation in all aspects of software development process including code review, test design, debugging, performance evaluation, and documentation
- Coordination with other open source collaborators including FreeBSD community members and volunteers, and developers from other projects
- Supporting the project coordinator in promoting project progress through event talks, blogs, press releases, videos, or other channels
- Developing, fixing, or enhancing any part of the operating system outside of the kernel. Here are a few examples of some projects you could work on:
- Complete and refine pkgbase
- Update and enhance the operating system installer
- Create and maintain critical ports/packages
- Submit fixes for critical third party software to make it run well on FreeBSD. For example, you may write daemons required for desktop environments like Gnome, KDE, or Xfce.
- Strong C skills and extensive experience with the LLVM (preferred) or GCC toolchains
- At least three years of software development experience on Open Source operating systems (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, or other BSD)
- Experience with open source development practices
- Experience with debugging, performance profiling, and optimization
- Proficiency with scripting languages like Lua, POSIX shell, and Python
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with timely delivery for all work products and deliverables
- Self-directed and self-motivated, ability to manage tasks, time and schedule with limited supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively with members, developers, and team members
- University degree (or equivalent) in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field; in lieu of a degree, candidates with relevant experience and a proven track record in the field will also be considered
- Understanding of the value of continuous integration, continuous testing and related approaches
- A positive attitude and respect for other developers, especially when there are disagreements.
In compliance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (EPEWA) we are disclosing the salary range for roles that could be performed in Colorado.
If performed in Colorado, this position has a salary range of $62,000-$126,000.
The actual base salary will be dependent on various factors relevant to the position and candidate such as geographical location, candidate qualifications, relevant job-related work experience, education, and skillset.
- 401(k) Employer Contribution
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
Monday to Friday
Post-pandemic opportunity to work in a FreeBSD Foundation office in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
About FreeBSD and The FreeBSD Foundation
FreeBSD is everywhere: If you stream movies via Netflix or play the latest PlayStation game sensation, you’re already using FreeBSD. FreeBSD Foundation supports the work of the FreeBSD Project and is committed to hiring people as committed to the open source development community as we are. We care about getting results, not about putting in time at an office. Come see what it’s like to work in a collaborative environment where we celebrate each person’s uniqueness and our strengths as a cohesive team.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The FreeBSD Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and we believe diversity makes us better. We encourage all qualified and interested candidates to apply. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.