Are you passionate about developing low-level CPU systems? Do you love to sink your teeth into open source development projects? Are you deeply experienced with kernel development? If so, help bring first-class arm64 support to FreeBSD! The FreeBSD Project, with support from the FreeBSD Foundation, is working to bring FreeBSD/arm64 to fully supported Tier-1 status. This includes implementing required kernel functionality for parity with x86, as well as adding support for extensions found in Arm architecture revisions ARMv8.2 though ARMv8.5 and beyond.
The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and building the FreeBSD Project and community worldwide. We have been around for over 20 years, with our headquarters in Boulder, and board and staff located around the world. The Foundation focuses on filling critical needs within the Project including software development, advocacy, infrastructure support, project management and more. We partner with individual and corporate members of the FreeBSD community, to ensure the continuing growth and stability of one of the oldest, largest, and most successful open source operating systems.
- Develop FreeBSD kernel and userland support for ARMv8.2 through ARMv8.5 and beyond
- Participate in all aspects of software development including code review, test design, debugging, and performance evaluation
- Coordinate with other open source collaborators including corporate developers, FreeBSD community members and volunteers
- Support the project coordinator in promoting project progress through event talks, blogs, press releases, videos, or other channels
- Strong C skills and extensive experience with the LLVM (preferred) or GCC toolchains
- Low-level CPU experience including strong understanding of system architectural topics like MMUs, caches, interrupt controllers, and timers
- Extensive kernel development experience (Linux, FreeBSD, or other BSD), and expertise in low-level systems, including:
- virtual memory
- exception handling
- device drivers
- offload and accelerator engines
- vulnerability mitigations and system security
- Debugging, performance profiling, and optimization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with timely delivery for all work products and deliverables
- Self-directed and self-motivated, with ability to manage tasks, time and schedule with limited supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively with members, developers, and team members
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- Assembly language skills
- Experience with open source development practices
- Understanding of the value of continuous integration, continuous testing and related approaches
- Proficiency with scripting languages like Python, Lua, and Bourne shell
- 401(k) Employer Contribution
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
Monday to Friday
Post-pandemic opportunity to work in a FreeBSD Foundation office in Boulder, Colorado, USA or Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
About FreeBSD and The FreeBSD Foundation
FreeBSD is everywhere: If you stream movies via Netflix or play the latest PlayStation game sensation, you’re already using FreeBSD. FreeBSD Foundation supports the work of the FreeBSD Project and is committed to hiring people as committed to the open source development community as we are. We care about getting results, not about putting in time at an office. Come see what it’s like to work in a collaborative environment where we celebrate each person’s uniqueness and our strengths as a cohesive team.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
FreeBSD Foundation is an employer committed to equal employment opportunity and we believe diversity makes us better. As such, we hire people based on merit and qualifications without regard to any illegal considerations of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disabilities. We encourage all qualified, interested candidates to apply.