The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and building the FreeBSD Project and community worldwide. We have been around for over 20 years, with our headquarters in Boulder, and board and staff located around the world. The Foundation focuses on filling critical needs within the Project including software development, advocacy, infrastructure support, project management and more. We partner with individual and corporate members of the FreeBSD community, to ensure the continuing growth and stability of one of the oldest, largest, and most successful open source operating systems.
We are looking for a freelance experienced technical writer to help showcase the Foundation’s technical work supporting the FreeBSD Project. As an ideal candidate, you have proven experience in software development, ideally within open source and/or operating systems. You have the uncanny ability to translate highly technical information into engaging, creative pieces which are informative from start to finish.
The Technical Writer position reports to the Marketing Director and works closely with both the marketing and software development teams.
- Research, outline, write, and edit new and existing content, working closely with the software development team and outside vendors to create case studies, blog posts, and white papers that showcases how the work the Foundation does directly benefits the FreeBSD Project . In addition, helping to create pieces that highlight why FreeBSD is the OS of choice for many organizations.
- Evaluate current content and develop innovative approaches for improvement
- Develop and maintain detailed databases of appropriate reference materials, including research.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field
- 2-4 years of industry experience as an effective technical writer, open source experience preferred.
- Proven ability to quickly learn and understand complex topics
- Previous experience turning highly technical concepts into easy to understand and interesting reading.
- Creative skills and usage of photographs, drawings, diagrams, animation, and charts that increase users’ understanding
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Self-directed and self-motivated, with ability to manage tasks, time and schedule with limited supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively with vendors, developers, and team members; comfortable interacting with a wide range of community members, from executives to technical programmers
About FreeBSD and The FreeBSD Foundation
FreeBSD is everywhere: If you stream movies via Netflix or play the latest PlayStation game sensation, you’re already using FreeBSD. FreeBSD Foundation supports the work of the FreeBSD Project and is committed to hiring people as committed to the open source development community as we are. We care about getting results, not about putting in time at an office. Come see what it’s like to work in a collaborative environment where we celebrate each person’s uniqueness and our strengths as a cohesive team.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
FreeBSD is a community committed to equal employment opportunity and we believe diversity makes us better. As such, we hire people based on merit and qualifications without regard to any illegal considerations of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disabilities. We encourage all qualified, interested candidates to apply.